February 06, 2014

Thursday Rant - Gawdamn It, I'm Annoyed Again....

I'm pretty sick of this shit...this continual quest to be "Elite" "Exclusive" and "First Tier" in all things, pissed enough to make my it part of my Thursday rant...and as usual it started as one thing and became another..

Everyone seems to be selling  "Exclusive" service, the kind of service you'd expect and deserve as the discerning literate you are, let's walk a mile in their shoes...

First we need to get there, so let's get on our charter...I like NetJets b/c it appeals to my "sensible" elite side. My personal preference sits with the Falcon 900 - yours for only $5900/hour


but I also like the Falcon 50, the Cessna CitationJet (mostly cause I've been on one) and who doesn't love the G650...

Then we'll need a place to stay..since it's a road trip I say we stay at the "World Renowned" Hotel Domestique to kick things off. See, it's owned by a doper and that alone is worth the price of admission. And at only $425/night it's a high profile opportunity to be seen in the company of cycling's greatest tour rider ever. Never mind the past...look at that room!

Of course, we're cyclists so we need a ride - let's do the doper ride!

But but...all that money for charity!

STFU!

Slap some DZ nuts on your balls, get yourself a "pro" coach for only $350/mo, maybe take a camp for $2500/wk, then get after it...

What irritates me is that their whole persona, their whole "elite" lifestyle is built on cheating and lying...millions of dollars...stolen. Yet they act like they are deserving, that they have crossed the precipice of greatness, when really all they did was cheat. So F those guys and their whole way of life. I'll give a shout to Tyler and Floyd though....not for any good reason, I just like them more than the others and they've owned their mistakes in a very public arena.

Now, the pivot...

My other annoyance this week is the "Pro" Cat 3 and 4 racer that seems to think they are owed something. I'm lucky enough to have seen many sides of the sponsorship game and, frankly, I don't know where these guys are coming from. I certainly understand ambition - I was out hustling Sanchez Automotive for $200 in sponsorship dollars on my Acquila Team jersey in 1989! It was a sweet jersey...in the 80's


but I don't understand these guys who send emails to teams that trend towards "Hi, I'm an aspiring Cat 3 from X College and I wanted to know what benefits your team offers...." They have facebook pages that are purpose built for their cycling 'careers' and all the potential exploits their 100 "likes" can bring a brand or team. Frankly, it's the hubris that bothers me...and it's probably proof that I'm old...but...
YOU HAVEN"T DONE ANYTHING IN CYCLING...and you want to know what I'm bringing to the table? Sister please....

I've had a license for over 25 years, and during that time I've gotten exactly 3 free bikes. Now, I'll admit that I may not be that savvy with the 'get free sponsored stuff' gig..but I have always operated with integrity and at a level I felt was appropriate. So, until you are winning top flight regional races...

Don't Call It A Career - Only Pro's get to retire

Don't Ask Me What You Will Be Getting - I'll tell you the agreements I've made and if you qualify. Why don't you show up for the Tuesday ride and learn to ride a paceline, take a pull and impress me with your work ethic instead of your Facebook prowess...


Go Ride Your Bike and Quit Posing!

I'm out....








1 comment: